The period from S1 to S3 has a clear purpose: that all young people will have a strong platform for later learning and for successful transition to qualifications at the right level for them.
“Building the Curriculum 3”, Scottish Government, 2008.
The entitlement for young people in S1- S3 is to experience a broad general education, known as BGE, which incorporates a wide variety of opportunities enabling them to:
- achieve the highest possible levels of literacy and numeracy and cognitive skills
- develop skills for life and skills for work
- develop knowledge and understanding of society, the world and Scotland’s place in it
- experience challenge and success
At this stage, their curriculum enables them to experience learning across a broad subject base covering all 8 curricular areas including;
- Social Studies
- Expressive Arts
- Health and Wellbeing,
- Religious and moral education and
By the end of S2 pupils have the opportunity to personalise their curriculum by selecting individual subjects from within each curricular area to allow for study in more depth during S3 with the possibility of continuing to a qualification in the subject by the end of S4. See Choice of Course – Choosing for S3 (separate menu within this section).